Present: Owen, Clair, Carli, Debbie, Jeffrey, Nathan, Hannah, Maria, Andrea
First meeting of the semester!On the Agenda: Introductions, presentation (Debbie) on industrialized agrictulture, reading selection for next week, new members packet, set meeting time, cage-free egg campaign update, brainstorming.
- We need to discuss publicity for cage-free eggs at Trillium. Someone is going to write an op-ed or a guest column for the daily sun. Unfortunately, we have no connections to the daily sun. Also: we will do some tabling to spread the word. We also have the Wegmans Cruelty documentary to use. It's good; if anyone wants a copy let me know.
- We have at least two potential speakers for this semester who have expressed interest in coming to Cornell: Harold Brown of farm sanctuary and Dr. Michael Greger, former president of CCAD. Harold Brown will talk about whatever subject we give him.
- We could do a campaign around the Smithfield Corporation. Their huge and they abuse animals and workers. They also have a fairly active campaign to unionize.
- The readings for the next meeting will be:
- An excerpt from Carol J. Adams' "The Sexual Politics of Meat."
- A testimonial from a former Smithfield employee.
- "What's the Beef and Who Pays."
- We voted to split into working groups or committees around tactics. This is still an open discussion, as one of our campaigns seems to split between labor and consumer. The three committees are:
- Vote on the agenda
- Sequentially talk about the readings 10 minutes maximum for each:
- Clair kicks off Carol Adams reading
- Nathan kicks off Smithfield worker testimonial
- Debbie kicks off "What's the Beef"
- Break into working groups for ten to fifteen minutes to brainstorm.
- Within each working group, choose one person to report back on ideas.
- Set and vote on agenda and readings for next week.
Time & Place: